Over the Crown of the World
Character creation guidelines
Beyond following the Jade Regent Player’s Guide here are the basics:
Stats are the usual roll 4d6, pick out the best three, spread as you will.
Besides what is mentioned in the JRPG, I’m willing to allow Tengu & Goblins (from the Bestiary), though both would perforce have interesting back-stories and may have some conflict inherent with others around them. Half the group should be Human.
In addition to the Core & APG classes, I’m allowing the following others from other sources…
- The Temptress (from the Conan RPG)
- The Archivist & the Dread Necromancer (both from the Heroes of Horror D&D 3.5 supplement)
- The Assassin, Monster Hunter, Noble & Survivor (from the Freeport Companion)
- Assorted classes from Tome of Secrets
- The Godling, the Death Mage, and possibly others from assorted Genius Guides
- Variant Druids from the Kobold Quarterly issue # 15 (possibly others)
That all being said (and I know that gives a great number of tasty tasty options), please try to use core classes (possibly with Archetypes) when you can and be mindful of the party as a team needs certain roles to be filled to succeed.
Various Feats, Archetypes and what-not…
…may also be allowed from these & other sources as I see fit on a case-by-case basis. Certainly Drawbacks from Tome of Secrets will be allowed. Specifically I’m amalgamating the Flaw/Drawback rules (no more than two) for bonus Feats.
As usual, you get two. Where possible, try not to take the same ones as others – I don’t want to see “Rich Family” more than once, for example.
…are in play. However, in addition to normal HP uses, they may be used to generate Alignment effects if one is of the appropriate alignment (as per Harrow Points in the CCPG) or purchase Plot Twist cards. Any unused Plot Twist cards revert to Hero Points at the end of the session.
- Note: PCs that are higher level than the current adventure supports do NOT get hero points (once their level falls in line, they may get them as normal). If the ACR of the party proves too high, the hero point system will be put in abeyance until APL falls within the appropriate level of the scenario. PCs who fall bellow the levels required for the adventure will get a bonus Hero Point for each level short (the max of 3 remains).
- Note 2: Antihero option is now in play – do try to be heroes though. The option to avoid death should not be discounted!
New/replacement character levels
New or replacement PCs come in at a level appropriate for the current adventure. Wealth-by-level guidelines being just that, PCs get normal starting cash + a number of rolls = level-1 for extra gear/magic as GM dictates. Random magic items, arms & armor will always be gear suited for the PC.